Grilling Can Lead to Dangerous Accidents

Grilling in the summer is an American tradition. Unfortunately, the attempt to cook the perfect burger can sometimes lead to serious burn injuries. Just ask ESPN reporter Hannah Storm. She suffered first- and second-degree burns to her face, neck, and chest when her gas grill exploded last year.

Storm went public after the grilling accident to raise awareness about the risks of injury and how to prevent them. While some Naples grilling accidents are caused by user error, propane and charcoal grills can also have deadly defects in their manufacture or design.

In a 2011 accident in Texas, a 12-year-old boy was severely injured when a grill handle unexpectedly flew open and emitted a large ball of smoke and flames. The boy’s family pursued a personal injury lawsuit against the grill manufacturer.

To help prevent a serious injury this summer, below are several safe grilling tips from the National Fire Protection Association:

  • Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
  • The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
  • Keep children and pets away from the grill area.
  • Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
  • Never leave your grill unattended.