The movies tend to be nothing like real life, but that’s only partly true when it comes to the lawyer that you will choose to represent you in your personal injury case.
While any lawyer that tells you to limp into court and pretend to be hurt is probably not the best person to hire (you’ll quickly be found out!), it is true that you will be working very closely with the lawyer that you hire - which is why it’s vital to find a lawyer that you can work comfortably with.
Advice and Your Own Intuition
When you hire any kind of expert, it’s important to sit back and listen to what that person has to say (this is why you are hiring an expert, after all, right?). At the same time, it’s important that you listen to your own intuition.
Here are some of the things to pay attention to when you hire a lawyer:
- Do you feel comfortable working with the person you are considering? If the lawyer you are speaking with makes you feel bad about yourself, does not listen to what you have to say and does not understand you, it might be time to look for someone else.
- Do you feel that your lawyer really “gets” what happened to you? Sometimes, a personal injury lawyer doesn’t understand the injuries that you’ve sustained or doesn’t understand the accident that you were in. You need to work with a lawyer that has experience with cases similar to yours.
- Is your lawyer making you do things that you don’t feel comfortable doing? We talked a bit about faking an injury above, but there are other ways that you can feel uncomfortable. Do not do anything that you are not entirely okay with.
In some cases, hiring a person without a ton of experience is okay. But when it comes to the lawyer you hire, you’ll want to make sure that person knows the ins and outs of your case.
Some of the things to look for include:
- Does your lawyer have extensive experience in personal injury law?
- Has your lawyer worked on any cases that are similar to yours before? What was the outcome?
- Does your lawyer have a strong legal team behind him?
- Is your lawyer accessible? Can you reach him with questions that you have, or do you have to go through a number of people to get your questions answered?
- Has your lawyer introduced you to his or her Paralegal and Legal Assistant so that you know who you are working with?
You and the lawyer that you hire to represent you must become a solid team. You will work together regularly, which means that you both have to come to a mutual understanding.
It’s difficult to work with a lawyer that doesn’t fully comprehend your case, and this is not a road we recommend going down. Make sure that the lawyer you hire is honest and open and has your best interests at heart!
If you need help with a personal injury case, contact the Dellutri Law Group today for a FREE case evaluation. We understand the Attorney-Client Privilege and work hard each and every day to earn your business and respect. We are here to make sure that you gain the compensation you deserve!