What Should I Do if I Receive a Summons to go to Small Claims Court but Can't Afford it?

If you receive a summons to go to small claims court, but can’t afford to pay, the first thing you’ll want to do is try to see an attorney for a free consultation. Meet with someone who has experience in consumer law and is willing to sue the credit card companies if they mess up. Many small claims lawsuits are filed with faulty paperwork or no paperwork at all. Second, if you do get a summons and you can’t see an attorney first, go to court. If you don’t show up, you’ll get a judgment against you. You can’t ignore a summons against you because if you do, you’ll have no chance of fighting it later. Learn more in the video.