Spring break is just around the corner, and that means that a lot of people might be itching to escape to a new place. It may also mean that you are itching to leave Florida and head to a new destination in order to avoid the spring break madness. Renting an apartment away from home on a website like Airbnb can be a lot of fun, and it can also open up many new horizons - you will, after all, get to see what it’s like to really live as a local.
But what happens when an accident occurs on a rental property? Who do you call and who is to blame? While the laws in every state are different, there are some basic things that you should do right away if you are injured on a property that is not your own.
We’ll also cover what you should do if you rent out your property and someone becomes injured while staying in your home. Before you book any vacation rental, take a close look at this!
Renting to Strangers
When you rent out a home to a stranger, you should be aware that there is always a possibility that someone might get hurt while staying at that location.
If someone that is renting from you calls and tells you that they have become hurt, here are the steps that you should take right away.
- Since you are not at the location at the time of the accident, make sure that the injured person visits with a reputable doctor right away. Ask to see that report.
- If you have a friend or family member in the area, ask that person to visit the property when the accident happens, and ask that person to take as many photos as possible.
- Make sure that the injured person files an accident report at the hospital or with the police. This way, you can be sure that what happened has been accurately documented.
- Make your way back to the property as soon as possible - and make sure to review your insurance policy. You may also want to look into any injury policies that may be part of the service you used.
Following the steps above is important, but there are also some things that you should absolutely not do including:
- Do not take the person’s word and send or wire money to cover the cost of injuries
- Make sure that the doctor the person visits with is reputable - there are a lot of scams out there!
- Never alter the scene of an accident, no matter what.
- Do not lie and say that you were on the property when you were not. The truth always catches up to you!
Injured When Staying At Someone’s Home
The most important thing to remember when renting to someone or renting a property somewhere else is to always document every detail. Never leave anything undocumented, and always tell the truth.
If you have been injured and are in the middle of a dispute with no real resolution in sight, make sure to call the Dellutri Law Group today - we will be happy to go over your case for free. We can help!
So what do you do if you’ve rented a gorgeous property, and you become injured? Follow these steps:
- Go to the hospital right away, so that your injuries are documented.
- Take photos of the area where you fell or hurt yourself
- Do not tamper with anything inside of the home
- Do not lie about what happened
- Do not try to solicit money from the person renting to you.